Meet Shawn Lamb - The Huguenot Sword

Talk About It Thursday welcomes my new friend, author Shawn Lamb, to tell us about her new book. She'll be at the National Bible Bee & Family Discipleship Conference in Nashville, Nov. 17th -19th, so if you're in the area, drop by, say hello, and pick up a copy of The Huguenot Sword.



After spending the last few years writing and promoting my YA allegorical fantasy series Allon for my daughter, I am returning to my first love – historical fiction.  This month I’m excited to launch the first book I ever wrote The Huguenot Sword.

I was 16 when I completed it. As a teen I was enthralled with swashbuckling adventure books written by such authors as Alexandre Dumas and Rafael Sabatini. Where other girls dreamed of being carried away by Prince Charming or meeting their Mr. Darcy, I wanted to be a Musketeer and fight beside D’Artagnan. What can I say? I was a tomboy.

Desire compelled me to take up fencing and dive into study of the 17th century. In my research I stumbled upon an intriguing figure in history, Henri, the Duc de Rohan. He wasn’t mention by Dumas, and rates little mention in key historical events, but Rohan was instrumental in the Huguenots stance against Richelieu.

I became so impressed by Rohan, his life and the struggle of the Huguenots (Protestants), that what began as an imitation of Dumas, turned into telling the story of the French Protestants. Yet all the elements of those swashbuckling books of yesteryear are included. Enjoy!

The Huguenot Sword

For Faith, For Friendship, For Freedom

In the time of Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu, when being a Protestant could mean death, The Huguenot Sword roamed the streets of Paris by night, defending those faithful to the young heretical religion. The nobility scorned them as ruffians. To the oppressed Protestants they were saviors, but to the Cardinal’s Guards they were a pestilence needing to be terminated.

The situation becomes desperate when those in power launch a bold plan to destroy the group. One wrong move can be fatal. But the ordeal of Paris pales in comparison to the possible annihilation of the faith and people at the Battle of La Rochelle.


About the author: Shawn Lamb is the author of the epic Christian YA fantasy series Allon, along with The Huguenot Sword, and once wrote for the animated series BraveStarr, produced by the same studio that did He-Man and She-Ra. She has won several screenwriting awards including a Certificate of Merit from the American Screenwriters Association.


Comments

Popular Posts