Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Support the Troops: Christine Cunningham

A few weeks ago, I got involved with a special effort to show our military troops support during the holiday season - authors from all across the country are donating e-books as gifts for military members (www.ebooksforsoldiers.com).

To help promote the Support the Troops effort, many of the participating authors are interviewing other authors to get the word out.

Today, I'm happy to introduce you to one of these participating authors - Christine Cunningham, who writes fictional stories for the general market.




Welcome, Christine - we're so glad you could join us. Please tell us a little about your books.

Eternal Beginning: This book is about my own personal journey to the life I have always wanted. Granted I took some artistic license with the story, but the main message I want to get across to readers is every moment you can begin again. Each moment is an eternal beginning.


First Snow: This story is about Nell and her yearly dwindling holiday cheer. She longs for a family of her own. When sparks fly between Nell and her Monday morning regular at the bakery, Hasan, she thinks her wish is finally going to be answered. Then Hasan bluntly tells her that he doesn’t want to have children.

Did you encounter any surprises when writing these books?

I have had characters “argue” with me when I try to get them to do something I want them to do, but it doesn’t truly fit. That was a surprise! Characters can wake me up and demand to be written.  It’s a pretty surreal experience sometimes.

If you took a vacation with one of your characters, which one would it be, and where would you go?

I would definitely take a vacation with Hasan (sorry Nell). Hasan is pretty much my ideal man.  He’s educated, skilled with his hands, and a gentleman plus I’m a sucker for brown eyes. We would travel to India and experience the amazing, diverse culture there. We wouldn’t stay away long because I’m such a homebody, but it’s likely to be the best vacation of all time.


What aspect of writing a novel do you find the most difficult?

I find putting down the tedious in-between details is the most difficult. I love to write the scenes that are full of angst or the first kiss. The day to day activities are such a bore, but they make the character relatable. I almost want to write, “You know what happens here so let’s get back to the good stuff.”

I sooo identify with that - I always have to go back and layer in the details. Will you be a writer for the rest of your life?

I feel kind of guilty that I don’t eat, sleep, and breathe writing. This is an incredible ride for me now and I truly love writing right now. I know I will change my life’s vocation over and over again, but that’s just how I’m wired. I’ve been a martial arts instructor/kick boxing instructor, pharmacy technician, delivery driver, and who knows what’s next? It’s a very exciting feeling!

What do you like to do when you aren’t writing, editing, marketing?

Usually sleep! Actually I do love to play the piano and crochet from time to time. I’m also determined to learn French and travel in Canada. My two cats and I sometimes just snuggle on the couch and I read the latest in my stack o’ books.

Why is giving books to support our troops important to you?

I believe if there’s a way I can lift the spirit of another it’s my duty to do so. This is such an easy way to accomplish that goal that I couldn’t pass it up.

Thanks for joining us today, Christine, and thanks so much for supporting our troops. 

Readers, you can find Christine and her books on the Web:

Eternal Beginning- http://amzn.to/pkBzEC 
First Snow- http://amzn.to/v6GmaF 
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/rod2p5
Twitter- http://bit.ly/otU535 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for hosting my interview today! It looks wonderful!

Grace Lessons and My Word for 2024

Each December, for many years, the Lord gave me a “word” for the new year. The last couple of years, I sought words, but they never came. Th...