A Chat with Karen Baney, author of Nickels


Hello again Karen Baney and thank you so much for talking with me today! To begin, could you just tell us a little about yourself?

I’m a software engineer by day and author by night.  I love how both of these careers allow me to use my creative thinking.  I know everyone thinks programmers are all like Spock or Data from Star Trek.  But, we’re not.  We are creative problem solvers.

My hubby and I have been married for over 11 years and love living in Arizona, where we met.  Before I started writing, we used to hike all over the state of Arizona with our two dogs.  I would take hundreds of pictures on my camera.  Yeah, I’m a photography nut.

How long have you known that you wanted to be a writer?  Did you receive a clear “calling” from God or have you always had a desire to write?

In early 2010, I went through some rough health issues.  I ended up having surgery on my hand to remove a cyst.  Then, just as I was on the mend, my back went out.
Through these trials, I learned a new level of dependence on God.  I didn’t have the physical strength to do even normal daily activities.  I cried out to God and let him work on my heart.  As he dealt with me on some things, I gained the courage to ask Him a question that had been weighing heavily on my heart for several years. 

I asked, “God, since you haven’t called me to be a mom, what have you called me to do?”

He answered.  “Write.”

I had no idea what to write.  I’ve always had a journal.  Sometimes, I wrote short Bible studies or supplemental material for a study I was teaching.  But, I had never written a book.

Then, He gave me the story for A Dream Unfolding.  Some of it came in a dream.  On March 25, 2010, I sat down at my computer and I began with the most dramatic scene in the middle of the book.   Though I didn’t publish A Dream Unfolding until December 2010, I was already a writer.

Everything since has been an amazing journey—one that I sometimes feel like I’m just along for the ride!

What are 2 things that people wouldn’t normally know about you?

When I was a teenager, I wanted to become an artist.  I studied art in high school, built up a portfolio, and even went to a fine arts school in Philadelphia for a year.   Life got in the way and I eventually gave up oil painting for the less-messy hobby of photography.

I always wanted to collect stamps.  I liked the cool artwork on stamps when I was growing up.  But, since my brother was collecting stamps, my parents told me I had to pick something else.  So, I became a coin collector instead.

Your contemporary novel, Nickels, is being offered FREE on Kindle right now! Please tell us about the book.

Niki Turner is a software engineer—yeah, not much of a stretch for me to write this one.  She’s suffered some real heart ache and loneliness in her life.  The one thing she has going for her, her career, suddenly becomes threatened when Kyle Jacobs, a blast from her past, ends up working at the company where she gets assigned.

She slogs through a mess of emotions and baggage, ultimately coming to the realization that something big—she doesn’t know what—is missing from her life.
This is my first contemporary romance novel.  Readers will smile at some of Niki’s snarky comments, they’ll cry as she lets go of some painful things, and they’ll rejoice when she finds what she had always been looking for.

Is there a message in your book?  If so, what is it and what can readers expect to get from reading it?

The biggest message in this book is about changed hearts.  There are examples of this through Kyle Jacobs’ life.  It is one of the things that Niki struggles to understand.  How could the man who tormented her in high school be the same as the generous, kind man before her?

What’s your favorite part of the story?

Though it’s not my favorite (that one would spoil the story), one of my favorite scenes is where Niki is having a bad day.  The tire blows out in her car during the hot Arizona summer.  She has to rely on Kyle for help, thus exposing her to one of the first examples of how he’s changed over the years.

I also like the revealing of where the title of the book comes from.

Readers - get your copy of Nickels here.


Karen, give us your blog or webpage so everyone can check it out.  Anything else you’d like to share? 

My website is:  http://www.karenbaney.com.  

On Mondays, I feature interviews with new Christian authors.  I like introducing readers to some of the great people I’ve gotten to know over the past two years. 

Typically, on Wednesdays, I like to feature either characters from my novels or more information about the history behind my novels. 

Fridays are reserved for topics about writing and self publishing.  I love sharing what I’ve learned with others.


Karen, we're so glad you joined us today! Keep us posted on all your latest releases!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundraising for a Film

What is Your Calling?

When Anniversaries Roll Around