Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Days of Thanksgiving 6

Thanksgiving # 6: The Right to Vote

I'm so grateful to have grown up in the United States of America. When I was in grade school - City School - we gathered every day in the auditorium, where we sang songs, prayed, and said the Pledge of Allegiance. I was sad when my kids started school and they no longer did these things.

I remember opening a geography book for the very first time in Mrs. Weaver's 4th grade class and learning how big this country was - I wanted to see every inch of it (and I'm still trying to meet that goal!) That geography book brought New England to life in such a way that I remember the words and pictures still today. I also developed a love of maps in that class!

In middle school, our social studies class, under the direction of Mrs. Davis, divided into two groups where we debated Ford or Carter, and then, for the very first time, we had an "election" and our school obtained REAL voting machines to show us how the process worked.

On the very day I turned 18, I located the election board in my new town, and I registered to vote. Ronald Reagan had been sworn into office just 8 months earlier, so it was a while before I could vote for the Presidency, but I couldn't wait to get registered! And every election since, I've been thankful we have the freedom to vote, and consider it one of our biggest responsibilities as American citizens, and as Christians.

I'm thankful for every man and woman who puts their life on the line to protect this country. Military, law enforcement, volunteers - we're grateful to you and your families for the sacrifices you make for all of us.

If you haven't voted yet, GO VOTE. If you've voted already, THANK YOU. If you've voted more than once, TURN YOURSELF IN - it's illegal.

No comments:

Grace Lessons and My Word for 2024

Each December, for many years, the Lord gave me a “word” for the new year. The last couple of years, I sought words, but they never came. Th...