Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thanksgiving 13

Thanksgiving # 13: Music

I developed a love of music at an early age, despite my parents' attempts to make me hate it with twangy old-fashioned country music! I eventually grew to love some country music, along with most other kinds, but I still don't like that twangy stuffy (or rap music either.) Here's a list, with a few links, to some of my favorite songs over the years, if you'd care to give a listen.

PreTeen and TeenYears:

In the Garden - of course, Elvis' version isn't quite the same as Nanny's version on our upright piano, but the song is a favorite whoever sings it. Yes, even in my teens.

Barry Manilow - yes, I am a huge Manilow fan. His songs resonated with my heart like no other. I went to YouTube to pick out a song, typed in Barry Manilow, and the first four songs are all my favorite. :-) Mandy, I Write the Songs, Even Now, Weekend in New England, and then a little further down, Looks Like We Made It. I sing all those songs still today.

Beach Boys and John Denver - deeply ingrained into who I am. Love their music.

Young Adult Years

Vivaldi - moving out on my own, I decided my music needed to grow up too. I discovered many classical musicians that I love, Vivaldi is my favorite.

Adult Years

Country Music - too many mid-80s to mid-90s country music choices to list, but I spent a lot of time on the country stations during those years. The beginning of Garth Brooks career, met John Michael Montgomery when he was still touring small towns, Vince Gill. Still not into the twang, but I came to appreciate more of the older country music too.

The last few years, it's been rather difficult for me to listen to any music at all. Oh, I still enjoy it immensely, but I'm so busy with other things that I don't have time to listen like I used too. And with so much other stuff going on, I've become extremely sensitive to noise, so even music has to be eliminated at times.

Christian music

Huge fan of many kinds of Christian music and that's what I mostly listen to now, although I still like some country (Josh Turner, especially. :-) ) and classical music is still played often.

As with all the other music, my tastes in Christian music vary, from the old hymns - love those - to a lot of the contemporary to some of the Southern Gospel (again, not the twangy stuff.) Matt Redman, Laura Storey, Ron Kenoly, Larnelle Harris, Sandi Patty, Babbie Mason, Andy Griffith, The Dixie Echoes, and so many others.

So thankful for music - the individual sounds of each instrument and the incredible talents of all the musicians. Thank you for making beautiful music for the world to enjoy!

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 100: 1-5 ESV








1 comment:

Ann Knowles said...

Tracy, my grandson (Bub White) plays guitar for the Dove Brothers Band and Quartet. They play a lot with the Dixie Melody Boys. My granddaughter, Morgan, has written a new song that was released on the local radio stations for Nov. 11. "Welcome Home Soldier."Music was her senior project and she had to write a song. I'll send it to you later today.