Thanksgiving # 15: Food

As I write this post, my wonderful husband is cooking breakfast for us. The smell of bacon cooking is one of my most favorite food smells!

Thanksgiving # 15: Food

I admit it. I'm a foodie. I love eating and I love cooking. I love trying new recipes and new flavors. I've even loved to tolerate rosemary, although my mother will find that hard to believe. (I can identify it in almost any concoction, and I really hate the smell of it, but I've learned to live with the taste.)

A dear friend asked me last night what my favorite food was, and I quickly answered spaghetti and hamburgers. Homemade spaghetti is my comfort food like meatloaf is for others, and in case you haven't heard, I make THE BEST! I think it's the versatility of hamburgers that makes them one of my favorite - I can dress them up or down, can get them almost anywhere, and the flavor is almost always different from one location to another.

We cook regularly in our house - daily, actually. We don't eat out much. A few years ago, we were eating out quite a bit, and realized that the food we ate out wasn't as good as what we cooked at home. So now, rather than going out expecting a great meal, when we go, we look for service and for atmosphere. (I could move into Bahama Breeze any time!)


But my Thanksgiving post isn't just about the good food - but also, and especially, gratitude for the food we do have to eat. Having food is not something we take for granted. We've had bare pantries and empty refrigerators at times, and so have loved ones. Unfortunately, a time or two, when my kids were growing up, we weren't sure where our next meal was coming from. But each and every time, God provided.

As we plan our holiday meals this year, think of those who may not have much or any food. Think of those who live from meal to meal, not knowing when they'll next have food available. Pick up a gift card at your local grocery store and give it to someone who might use a little extra help. If you can, help out your local food bank or homeless shelter. This time of year, there's more need than there are resources and every little bit helps.

We also want to offer a huge Thanksgiving prayer for the people who grow our food, prepare our food, package, ship, and sell food. The eating is the easy part!

What's your favorite food this time of year? Or anytime? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundraising for a Film

What is Your Calling?

When Anniversaries Roll Around