Thanksgiving # 8

In 2007, I developed this unquenchable desire to know the Bible. I began daily in-depth Bible studies, and by 2009, I wanted to know even more. In 2010, I entered college after a 28-year hiatus. I'm now a junior, and graduation is only 18 months away - or after this semester, only 4 semesters away! (Yes, I'll be doing summer school.) I'm majoring in Biblical and Theological Studies, and I'm loving my classes, for the most part anyway. Some sessions the workload is pretty heavy, and with all my publishing duties, I can get overwhelmed. But it's definitely worth it!

Thanksgiving # 8: The Bible

Do you realize just how rich Scripture really is? I'm currently taking Biblical Languages - an introductory course for Greek and Hebrew. Each week, we do a comprehensive word study, delving into the meanings of the original Greek words used in the New Testament and original Hebrew words used in the Old Testament.  These word studies cause us to slow down - read the text and absorb the context about what each writer was saying.

At the same time, we're prepping Prophecies Fulfilled in the Birth of Jesus by Dianne E. Butts to be released next week. This book explores all of the prophecies surrounding Jesus' birth. Dianne writes in a conversational tone that brings Scripture to life, and makes it easy to understand even for new readers of the Bible. As I edited the book, I found myself in awe once more about God's beautiful plan for His creation. I'm so thankful He's in control, and I'm so grateful for the Word He has given us, to help us know Him better.

I am also extremely grateful that we live in a country where I am free to own and read my Bible any time, anywhere, and that I can own however many translations of the Bible I care to own. I'm thankful I can write about my faith openly, and share the Bible with you.

The verses we're focusing on in my Biblical Languages class this week are:

"Therefore, I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." Romans 12:1-3 NASB

Do you have a favorite Bible verse? Share it with us in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts